October is an important month for women’s health as the national spotlight is on Breast Cancer Awareness. There’s no better time to reflect on our own personal health especially as lash artists. Like many careers in the beauty industry, our job is sedentary. We spend our days sitting while we create beautiful lashes client after client. Our days are long, our books are full and sometimes it’s hard to remember to make time to take care of ourselves! Fortunately, there are 5 things every lash artist can incorporate into their daily routines to live a healthier life!
1. Schedule breaks. This is important! When you are booking your appointments, remember to schedule a little time for yourself. You’ll need a lunch break to maintain proper nutrition even during the busiest of days. Breaks are also a good opportunity for you to recharge and refocus mentally.
2. Wear a lash mask. Similar to a surgical mask, the lash mask is intended for safety and sanitation. Fortunately, Lash Affair by J. Paris makes a beautiful, black lace mask that serves as a fashionable accessory in addition to providing safety and sanitation. Lash masks can help us prevent germs that could potentially spread in close quarters. Anytime someone coughs, sneezes, or even talks, germs have the potential to spread and, with our full schedules, most of us cannot afford to take a day off because of the sniffles.
3. Go for a walk. Because we spend our days sitting (or standing) in one spot, it’s important to make a little time for exercise. If a full gym membership isn’t your thing, take a daily walk between appointments. A short walk can help increase circulation and get your heart pumping.
4. Meditate and Reflect. We all know our clients! Some like to chat during their appointments and others like to sleep. Take the silence as an opportunity to reflect and relax your mind. Choose soft music that will help you destress as you create beautiful lashes.
5. Take a day off! This is sometimes easier said than done especially for those of us running our own businesses. Though it’s tempting to take on more clients as you grow your brand, it’s also important to take some time for your personal life. Many of us have family, friends and children so it’s important to make time for things other than lashing.